I would like to know the sentences for stealing $7000 from a private source? What if it was paid back before anyone finds it?

Asked 10 months ago - Minneapolis, MN

It was taken from a non-profit group and planned on being returned. Some already has, but not sure if the rest can be at this point.

1. Andrew M. Leone

3

Answered . If you have no criminal history, the sentence could be up to a year in jail. If you do have a history, then prison could be a possibility. Of course, restitution would be part of any sentence. What sentence you would actually receive may depend on several variables which are unknown at this time; however, with the help of an attorney, it may be possible to avoid jail time. Yes, being able to pay back the money would greatly help.

It sounds like you haven't been charged yet. If you are contacted by law enforcement, it would be in your best interest to politely define to speak with them.

I hope you find this information helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

2. Thomas C Gallagher

3

Answered . A felony, which could result in prison or jail, depending on prior record - if charged, then if convicted. At this point you could retain a criminal lawyer for pre-charge help, in efforts to avoid or reduce any criminal charge. Paying back the loss is generally a good idea, but can be taken as an admission of guilt. And therefore doing so through your lawyer may offer some protection.

3. Samuel John Edmunds

Pro

3

Answered . Numerous felonies could be charged out based on these facts. Possible sentences could be six months or a year in the local jail, or even a year or more in prison. A lot will depend on the offender's criminal history. Retain an attorney.

4. Maury Devereau Beaulier

3

Answered . It is a felony offense which is very serious. It carries with it penalties of up to ten years in prision or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both, if the value of the property or services stolen exceeds $5,000.

You can be charged, even if the property is subsequently returned. You should consult wit counsel immediately .

5. Frank Mascagni III

3

Answered . This is a serious crime if prosecuted. Theft and from a non-profit is a bad combination. You should consult with a criminal defense attorney for advice and direction. This is a public website, don't post anymore facts on line. Get a lawyer.