I would like to know the sentences for stealing $7000 from a private source? What if it was paid back before anyone finds it?

Minneapolis, MN |

It was taken from a non-profit group and planned on being returned. Some already has, but not sure if the rest can be at this point.

1. If you have no criminal history, the sentence could be up to a year in jail. If you do have a history, then prison could be a possibility. Of course, restitution would be part of any sentence. What sentence you would actually receive may depend on several variables which are unknown at this time; however, with the help of an attorney, it may be possible to avoid jail time. Yes, being able to pay back the money would greatly help.

It sounds like you haven't been charged yet. If you are contacted by law enforcement, it would be in your best interest to politely define to speak with them.

I hope you find this information helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

2. This is a serious crime if prosecuted. Theft and from a non-profit is a bad combination. You should consult with a criminal defense attorney for advice and direction. This is a public website, don't post anymore facts on line. Get a lawyer.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

3. A felony, which could result in prison or jail, depending on prior record - if charged, then if convicted. At this point you could retain a criminal lawyer for pre-charge help, in efforts to avoid or reduce any criminal charge. Paying back the loss is generally a good idea, but can be taken as an admission of guilt. And therefore doing so through your lawyer may offer some protection.

4. Numerous felonies could be charged out based on these facts. Possible sentences could be six months or a year in the local jail, or even a year or more in prison. A lot will depend on the offender's criminal history. Retain an attorney.

Do not rely on this information. This post does not create an attorney client relationship. Please contact me directly to receive formal legal advice regarding your situation.

5. It is a felony offense which is very serious. It carries with it penalties of up to ten years in prision or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both, if the value of the property or services stolen exceeds $5,000.

You can be charged, even if the property is subsequently returned. You should consult wit counsel immediately .

Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter.