I would like to know if staff is responsible for my sisters death.

Asked over 4 years ago - San Francisco, CA

My Sister was a resident at the Plaza apt.'s in San Francisco. A place for people with health and behavioral problems with a (supposedly) supportive staff to help them improve their health, mental and financial well being. On Fri. 3/27/10 my sister (who had a TBI) was in obvious trouble falling down & passing out in front of staff, also in front of her front door. Next day, my Sister had a visitor who apparently had been getting high with her, my sister died and this person told staff to go check on her but they didn't check on her until Monday when she was found dead. Are they responsible? This seems to be the opinion of the residents there and of me also.

1. R. Michael Bomberger

Pro

1

Answered . Without more information, it is difficult to tell if you have a possible wrongful death case. You should definitely talk to an attorney who can look into this a bit further. If you would like a consultation, feel free to contact my office at (877)283-2959.

2. Claude Armand Wyle

1

Answered . First of all, I am sorry to learn of your sister's passing. It seems as if she already had challenges in her life, and her death may have been preventable. I agree that you need to immediately secure the services of a qualified attorney, however I recommend that you call someone who is an expert in professional negligence, such as a malpractice attorney. I cannot advise whether the staff at your sister's facility should have done more, since I do not know what was promised or what the standard of care is for this facility. These questions will need to be answered before you know how successful your potential claim might be. Good luck, Claude

3. Claude Armand Wyle

1

4. Joseph A Blaszkow

1

Answered . Unfortunately, your opinion, the opinion of other residents, and for that matter, my opinion, all carry no weight in a court of law. You should retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney who will secure all the records, analyze the facts, and if appropriate, get the matter reviewed by a proper expert witness. Good luck.

The author of this post is licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. This post is intended as general information only, and is not provided as legal advice in connection with any specific case, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

5. Michael W. Clancy

1

Answered . The short answer is maybe. The only way that you will know for sure is to contact a lawyer who does medical negligence/nursing and extended care home liability and discuss the facts of the case with them. They will likely gather your sister's records and show them to an expert to see what the expert says about the care that was delivered. I urge you not to wait-- speak with someone who practices in this area of the law right away, before records are harder to find and memories grow dim.

I'm sorry for your loss and I wish you the best of luck

Michael W. Clancy
    www.clancylaw.com