I would like to know if my expired H1B petition is valid for cap-exempt renewal. At present I am with L1A visa.

Asked over 1 year ago - Hartford, CT

My fresh H1B petition was approved in Dec'03. I came to US with that for 2 months in 2004. Then I came again on Mar'05 with the same visa and stayed in US till Mar'08. In between, I had to extend the petition in Nov'06. My petition and visa expired on Mar'09.
I have now come to US again with L1A visa in Feb'11 and staying here since then.
I would like to know if I can switch employer now and if the new employer can extend my previous H1B in cap-exempt category. My home country is India.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . No.

Your previous H-1B has long since expired and cannot be used to "cap exempt" you now, since you have not been "counted" against the cap at anytime during the last 3 years.

All your prospective H-1B employer can do at this point is to file a. Rand new H-1B petition on your behalf on April 1, with an October 1 start date.

2. Dana Roxana Bucin

1

Answered . If switching employers is all you want right now, then take a look at the answers from the other immigration lawyers above. If, however, you have more long-term immigration goals, such as getting a green card, please know that the L-1A visa is a "gold mine" since it easily leads you to a green card, and your employer can petition for you RIGHT NOW (as opposed to the much longer processing times you would get if you tried to get a green card while on H-1B for another company).

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. The H1B Cap exemption applies only so long as you held an H1B visa status during the previous six years, and you have not exhausted the full six years.

4. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . To be cap-exempt you must have been in H-1B status within the last six years, and you would only be eligible for whatever remains of the six years maximum.