I would like to know if it's legal to put in your lease that the tenant must pay any repairs under 100$ for whatever reason?

White Plains, NY |

The property is in Florida, the landlord lives in New York. The tenant is arguing that she should only pay if it is something caused by her and that the landlord is supposed to pay for everything that contributes toward the normal functioning of the apartment even if it is under 100$, what is correct? what is legal? I'm doing it because I don't want to pay $50 to have someone make a house call to change a lightbulb,- and she has asked for that to happen.

Dear White Plains Landlord:

You may have engaged a Florida licensed attorney to prepare the lease and provide that the landlord is not responsible for changing light bulbs, as long as the Florida Landlord and Tenant Act ( http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0000-0099/0083/0083.html) does not make your lease demands improper.

Read more about a Florida landlord and tenant relation at:

http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBConsum.nsf/0a92a6dc28e76ae58525700a005d0d53/e21a25a8c288bed98525740800537588!OpenDocument

Hire an attorney in Florida.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

Sorry I don't understand your answer I looked up both of these links and did not see anything about my question- so can you please rephrase it or can someone else please answer? thank you

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens

OK. That is because you need a Florida lawyer to prepare a legal lease in Florida. If you do not want to be responsible for changing light bulbs, that should be in the lease. But a Florida attorney will need to write the lease to conform to Florida law.

So I guess you're not a Florida lawyer then? I put this question out here to get an answer about Florida law and find out if in Florida law that I can put that on the lease ?

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens

You posted your question in New York. Try posting in Florida.

What happens in Florida stays in Florida. Ask this question of a Florida attorney or in the "Florida section" of this website. Good luck.

I'm just 3 "helpful" answers away from a free toaster-oven! I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant