I would like to know if it is legal to give a kidney donor, who is giving my sister a kidney, a gift of appreciation, not money?

Birmingham, AL |

I would like to know if it is legal to give a kidney donor, who is giving my sister a kidney, a gift of appreciation, not money, but a vacation trip for one week? Thank you.

It's illegal to give anything of value to a kidney or tissue donor.

I disagree with the law. There should be some sort of incentive to encourage more tissue donation. Here's a well written NYTimes editorial on the issue:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/opinion/why-selling-kidneys-should-be-legal.html?_r=0

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others. Thank you. This response may provide information relating to potential legal issues. Nevertheless, your review of any information contained herein is not a substitute for legal advice from qualified legal counsel. For this reason, you should not rely on this response as a source of legal advice. Your use of this information does not create any attorney-client agreement. In order to become a client of David C. Lee, you must negotiate a specific attorney–client agreement with an attorney from this law office.