I would like to know if i qualify for the defferment act

Asked about 2 years ago - Melrose Park, IL

i have been in the us since 8 months old im 24 now i currently attend school to get my GED and i have 2 mistameanors for possession of 1gram of cannabis

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Dhenu Mitesh Savla


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Although possession of drugs is not listed as an offense disqualifying one for deferred action, it is Very important for you to consult with an attorney to explain to you how you should go about applying and helps you make an informed wise decision.

    You can fill out our questionnaire on deferred action to see if you qualify:


    Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  2. Veronica Tunitsky

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Talking to a lawyer is advisable especially since deferred action is a discretionary form of relief and you might not want to flag yourself in the process. Not saying you should or shouldn't apply; I'm saying talk to someone who can advise you properly.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an... more
  3. Lisa A. Tehlirian


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . I would advise consulting with an experienced immigration attorney about your eligibility for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, especially since you have 2 misdemeanor offenses. More information is required about your case history to confirm your eligibility.

  4. Nicklaus James Misiti

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . If you have any criminal convictions you should speak with and retain an immigration attorney before applying for DACA. My firm handles criminal immigration matters throughout the US.
    Nicklaus Misiti
    Law Offices of Nicklaus Misiti
    212 537 4407

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an... more
  5. Sanjay Augustine Paul

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . You need an in-person consultation with an attorney who can review all the facts of your case. This is too serious to attempt to get an answer from an online forum.

    Best of luck!

    -Sanjay A. Paul, Esq.

    This is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship exists between us.
  6. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . 1. Obama's action is a policy and not a law. It is not an Act.

    2. Obama's policy does not provide immigration status. It only prevents qualifying individuals from being deported and may provide them with a work permit.

    3. There are serious risks in applying as it can be terminated as early as January 2013 if Mr. Romney is elected President.



    The immigration consequences of convictions depend on the exact language of the statute under which the conviction took place.

    You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, including the court disposition and the charging documents, in order to advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Deferred action

Deferred Action is a policy that allows qualifying immigrants to receive employment authorization and have removal proceedings delayed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,260 answers this week

2,222 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,260 answers this week

2,222 attorneys answering