I would like to know if I am eligable for spousal support in a divorce? How much, How long?

Asked over 2 years ago - Aurora, IL

I am 52 years old and my wife has just filed for divorce. We have been married for 10 years. I am disabled and not been able to work at all in the 10 years. I have raised her children and taken care of the house the entire time. She makes 115,000 a year and I get 675 dollars a month in social security.

1. Elizabeth A. Demonte

6

Answered . Yes, you may be eligible for spousal support based on the disparity in incomes, but you've only been married for 10 years so it will not likely be permanent support. There are more factors that go into the determination of spousal support but based on the facts you've given, you have a good case for support. Do you have an attorney? If not, you need to talk to one. Don't try to do your divorce on your own.

2. J. Richard Kulerski

5

Answered . Based on the facts you have provided, you would indeed be a candidate for maintenance.

However, you really must consult with an attorney in person to get a better idea of how much and for how long. Every case is different, and the attorney will need to know more facts before he/she can be in a position to give you the answer you are seeking.

3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

4

Answered . YES! It is likely you may be eligible for spousal support also called maintenance or alimony. It is VERY you set up a personal consultation with an attorney highly experienced in the areas of divorce and maintenance. Do not put this off!!!! The sooner you start planning you divorce the much better results you will get. You have taken the first step asking the question now take the second step and get yourself to a lawyer.

4. Kelly Lynn Garrett

3

Answered . Maintenance is determined on a case by case basis. The court considers a number of factors including the length of the marriage, age of the parties, disparity in income and ability of the parties to work. Based on the information that you have provided, it appears likely that you would be awarded some amount of maintenance. You should consult an attorney and discuss the specific facts in your case as well as the possibility of requesting temporary support while the divorce is pending. Best of Luck!