Skip to main content

I would like to know how I can get a probono attorney for defamation of character and tort law? I have suffered mental anguish,

Chicago, IL |

I have suffered humiliation, mental anguish not only in work place but also in the public, can you help me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Your chances of getting a pro bono attorney for that type of case are extremely slim. But the good news is that if you can find a personal injury attorney who thinks you have a good case, they will take it on a contingency fee basis, meaning when and if you get money that's where your attorney fees will get paid out of. Expect your attorney fees to be 33%, perhaps 40% of whatever money you get.


Generally, this is not the type of matter that is handled pro bono.
You are very non-specific about what occurred at your employment. Your best bet is to discuss this with an employment lawyer, as some do work on a contingency fee in some cases, meaning that you would only pay if money was recovered.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely you will find an attorney to work for you without compensation. The type of case you describe is expensive and very time consuming.


Contact your bar association for a referral.

-Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein


FYI: Illinois bar referrals are not for pro bono attorneys.


You should seek out a lawyer on "contingency fee" basis, not pro bono. That means you pay nothing up front to your attorney for fees and he/she takes a percentage of the recovery for a fee at the time of recovery.

Good luck.


If you truly have a provable defamation case with provable damages, you can secure counsel with a contingency fee agreement. Get an attorney with experience in this area. Most of us provide free consultations.


I would contact a local attorney. If the claim has merit, an attorney may be willing to do it on a percentage.



You wrote that you suffered this in the workplace. Call an employment lawyer in your state, as you may possibly have a hostile work environment, depending on the facts.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer