I would like to have my gun rights restored after a conviction for disordly conduct/domestic violence

Asked 9 months ago - Kingman, AZ

in 2007 mohave county az .i had an arguement with my wife who was on drugs and drunk .she came home started a fight and i kicked my coffee table. i was convicted and completed my sentance 10 days jail suspended /1 yr probation/26 weeks anger management .it was the only problem ive ever had with the law in 53 yrs .i currently live in penna .i am in the process of divorce from her and would like my gun rights restored .i am an army veteran and good person .how can i get this done .the judge told me to come see him when i completed my sentence .but his secratary would not let me talk with him she said i would never be allowed to own or carry a gun again

it was a misdemeanor

1. Robert Francis Gruler Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . There may be some complex issues here. First, from your facts it is not certain that you were ever "convicted" of a domestic violence crime. If you entered into a diversion agreement, for example, the charges may have been dismissed. There are also both federal and state laws that need to be considered relative to your particular case. If you right to own firearms are important to you, and giving your history I imagine they are, you will want to consult with an attorney. They will be able to pull your records and do the research to give you an answer based on your circumstances.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

2

1

Answered . I don't think you get your gun rights back. Ever.

3. Laura A McDermott

Answered . Can you please clarify if the conviction was for a felony or misdemeanor? Thanks.