I would like to have my gun rights restored after a conviction for disordly conduct/domestic violence

Asked about 1 year ago - Kingman, AZ

in 2007 mohave county az .i had an arguement with my wife who was on drugs and drunk .she came home started a fight and i kicked my coffee table. i was convicted and completed my sentance 10 days jail suspended /1 yr probation/26 weeks anger management .it was the only problem ive ever had with the law in 53 yrs .i currently live in penna .i am in the process of divorce from her and would like my gun rights restored .i am an army veteran and good person .how can i get this done .the judge told me to come see him when i completed my sentence .but his secratary would not let me talk with him she said i would never be allowed to own or carry a gun again

Additional information

it was a misdemeanor

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert Francis Gruler Jr.


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There may be some complex issues here. First, from your facts it is not certain that you were ever "convicted" of a domestic violence crime. If you entered into a diversion agreement, for example, the charges may have been dismissed. There are also both federal and state laws that need to be considered relative to your particular case. If you right to own firearms are important to you, and giving your history I imagine they are, you will want to consult with an attorney. They will be able to pull your records and do the research to give you an answer based on your circumstances.

  2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I don't think you get your gun rights back. Ever.

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
  3. Laura A McDermott

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Can you please clarify if the conviction was for a felony or misdemeanor? Thanks.

    The answers provided are for general information purposes only. They do not establish an attorney-client... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges for disorderly conduct

Disorderly conduct, usually a misdemeanor charge, means disrupting the peace or public space through threatening, disruptive, lewd, or drunken behavior.

Criminal charges for domestic violence

Domestic violence is physically, sexually, emotionally, economically, or mentally abusive behavior used to control an intimate romantic partner.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,092 answers this week

2,936 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,092 answers this week

2,936 attorneys answering