I would like to get parenting time with my son.

Asked over 1 year ago - Hood River, OR

i left my pregnant girlfriend 6 years ago. no custody plan has ever been in place. i made contact with his mother when he was 2 years old and got to see him. i never tried to see him after that and now i would like to be a part of his life

1. Jay Bodzin

3

Answered . Your first step should not involve the legal system. You should contact the child's mother again, apologize profusely for your absence, and humbly ask to re-introduce yourself. Expect not to get too much right away, but offer to go at a pace that works for them. (I'm not making any moral judgment about your decisions; but this attitude may help you win her favor, and will look good to a court if she refuses and you have to go to the next step.)

If that doesn't work, you could then file a petition for custody in the circuit court of the count where the child lives. You would have to show why visitation is in the child's best interests. The law does generally presume that it is in a child's best interests to have an active relationship with both of their parents, so you have that advantage. As against that, your earlier absence will not look good. No matter whose fault it was - these cases are about the best interests of the child, not the fault of the parents. After so long an absence, you will likely have pretty limited visitation at first, but you can work up to more by reliably attending and showing that you can follow the rules, work with the other parent, and care properly for the child. You can read more about these laws here: http://www.northwestlawoffice.com/custody.html

Please read the following notice:

2. Diane L Gruber

Pro

Answered . Check out my legal guides on this subject. Good luck.