I would like to get hold of a government lawyer to proceed with my divorce case in NY as i have limited income. Pls suggest.

Asked over 1 year ago - Jamaica, NY

What are the options.

1. Marco Caviglia

4

1

Answered . You're out of luck. You can get assigned or reduced fee attorneys for custody matters, but not for a divorce, unless you qualify for legal aid which gives preference of their overwhelming workload to battered women. You will need to finance the fees or borrow money from friends or relatives which is the realistic alternative, unfortunately.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . There are no free lawyers for matrimonial cases. Try local law school clinics.

3. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

2

1

Answered . There is no such thing as "government lawyer" in a divorce case. You may be able to find a "pro bono" lawyer (someone in private practice who is willing to handle your case without charge) by calling the Queens County Bar Assoc.