Skip to main content

I would like to apply for deferred action?

Houston, TX |

I got charged with shoplifting 2 yrs. ago I did probation and my case was deferred. Ive been in the states since I was 5 yrs. old and have a high school diploma. Right now I am going to college but is there any way I can qualify for deferred action with that on my criminal record.

I came into the U.S. with a tourist visa 15 yrs. ago

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3



NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


It sounds like you may still be able to apply because your shoplifting conviction may qualify as a non-significant misdemeanor. It is best that you consult the specifics of your case with a qualified immigration attorney as you may only have one shot only to win the case.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and should not be relied as legal advice on your case. You may call my office at (832) 305-5382 to schedule a consultation if you require specific legal advice. Law Offices of Hector J. Lopez. 1201 South Shepherd Dr. Houston, TX 77019.



how can I find a qualified immigration attorney?

Hector J. Lopez

Hector J. Lopez


Someone with experience dealing with these matters. You may choose to contact anyone you like. Usually attorneys who are members of AILA (American Immigration Lawyers Association) like myself and many of my colleagues on this forum are greatly qualified.


I agree with my colleagues. It appears that you may be a good candidate for DACA. I suggest that you obtain the certified disposition from the court to take with you when you consult an immigration attorney.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer