I would like information on Trusts. How do I get a copy ? The Trustee is very secretive and I have a vested interest

Macomb, MI |

What must the Trustee disclose and when? Right now he is taking things that are of substantial value from the deceased home. What are my rights ?

Trustees are required to disclose a copy of the pertinent terms of the trust and a report of the trust assets to the beneficiaries, for starters. But only beneficiaries have the right to receive information, at least, in most cases. There is no set time limit for this, other than an initial notice required to the beneficiaries 63 days after the trustee accepts his or her position. If you are a beneficiary and your rights are being ignored, I would suggest you consult with an experienced probate litigation attorney about your options.

John R. Dresser

John R. Dresser

In addition, trustees are under a number of duties imposed on them by law. One of the duties is to keep the trust beneficiaries informed. If you are being ignored then I agree that your next step is to consult with an experienced trust and administration attorney

If you have not yet requested a copy in writing, you may want to check with an attorney about whether it may be helpful.

Engage an attorney to represent you. Depending on the provisions of the trust you are entitled to a copy is all of it. You are certainly entitled to those provisions which pertain to you.
The trustee has no right to take any trust asset unless he is a beneficiary as well, which is not unusual.
See an attorney regarding your rights so you are not running under misconceptions which can exacerbate tensions.

To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an appointment. My PRELIMINARY answer to your question(s) is for general purposes and based upon what little information you have conveyed. It is based on such limited information that the general answer should never be relied as a reason for your action or inaction. My response does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship and such may only be established by mutual agreement, and the signing of a written retainer agreement, which will generally require payment for our services, as this is what we do for a living and, just like you, we must get paid for our work.. .

Wills and estates topics