I worked for walmart for almost 5 years and was terminated today can I sue walmart for defamation of integretity.

Asked over 1 year ago - Canton, NY

I was working on a vehicle and broke the tpms senson on workorder I wrote broken pts since you cannot erase this I crossed this out before giving this to the customer also I replace the sensor and there were no lights on. I told the customer that there was an issue with a tpms sensor. the next time I was scheduled to work they pulled me into the office and told me that what I did was considered the the same as stealing I told him that I broke the sensor so how could I charge a customer for something they didn't break he told me that I should of took it out of the system and I told him that I didn't no I had to. my manager was right there the hole time I told him that I broke the sensor and he gave me keys to tpms cabinet. he never said anything to me besides ask me if any lights were on.

the system does not let you erase something once you have written it so that is why I crossed out instead of erased it.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . Unless you had a contract, you were an at-will employee and therefore could be fired for any reason or no reason so long as it was not an unconstitutional reason such as based on race, gender, religion, etc.

Pro

5

1

Answered . Unlikely, absent discrimination or an employment contract, but call a local employment lawyer nonetheless.

3. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

4

1

Answered . Firstly, you should file for unemployment insurance at your local employment office or online.

You are an employee at will and can be discharged for any reason, as long as it is not a discriminatory one protected by statute.

You do have some difficulties communicating in English and I suggest that you may want to take someone with you who is better versed in English and help you speak with a supervisor in the HR Department. It seems that what you did was totally reasonable, however, it appears that someone may not be understanding fully what you are trying to explain. Nothing prevents you from trying to get your job back. In the meantime, file the unemployment insurance claim.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  4. Christine C McCall

Pro

3

1

Answered . These facts will not support a claim for defamation (libel).