I worked for a company and planned to resign. They came to me with a counter offer and a covenant not to compete....

Raleigh, NC |

As a condition of staying they gave me a slight pay increase and told me that I could work from home 2 days a week. A month later AFTER I signed the covenant not to compete they told me that I could no longer work from home twice a week and that I needed to be in the office everyday. In addition to that they have some pretty shady business practices the owner intentionally did not pay employees & asked our mngmt team to have us tell everyone that the checks were coming to buy more time. In addition to that the IRS has put a lien on her business AND law suits are pending from her not paying employees & because I work for the company some bad things were written about me on the internet in being associated with this company. I left the company. But did they violate the contract?

1. The only contract that I see would be the covenant not to compete. I highly doubt there is anything in that contract that the company violated. If you are referring to the oral agreement that you would get a pay increase and work from home, that will likely not be an enforceable contract. I recommend that you consult with an experienced employment attorney about the covenant not to compete.

Kirk J. Angel is an experienced North Carolina licensed attorney who focuses his practice on employment law. Mr. Angel, who has focused on employment law for more than 14 years, represents clients throughout North Carolina and more information about him is available at www.theangellawfirm.com This response is for general informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. Additionally, this response does not create an attorney client relationship. If you need legal advice, please contact a lawyer in your state who practices in the appropriate area.