I worked for a big corporation for 6 months and was physically and sexually harassed almost everyday. Do I have a case??

New Haven, CT |

While working for a huge corporation I was touched inappropriately, called nasty names about my weight, called sexual names like fag, told that me and my actual boss were butt buddies. I believe almost everything was caught on surveillance camera but they told me no. I have a few instances on audio. They also broke the Fair Labor Act but letting me work overtime and not paying for it and also by letting me take a weeks vacation but still having me put my time in like I was there. I did not know this was illegal and against the law. What can I do, I NEED HELP. They also asked me to become a vendor which I did and after I told HR about this they didn't renew my contract and I didn't get any work as a vendor. I was an actual employee of their BTW.

Was there anything written and filed in your or any other employees HR files regarding these incidents? Based on what you have written the best thing you can do is meet with an experienced employment law attorney in New Haven, CT.

This information does not create an attorney-client relationship nor does it constitute legal advice. Evaluate this information and independently decide how to proceed. Consult an attorney who practices in the county in question.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

I concur with Mr. Eltringham's advice- best thing to do is hire an attorney to give you legal advice after a thorough review of all the pertinent facts.

Yes, hire an employment attorney as soon as possible in your area. Avvo has a Find a Lawyer tool

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

You may very well have a case. See a local employment attorney as soon as possible. These cases have very strict (and often short) time frames, so please don't delay. Good luck.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

Avvo has a tool to search for attorneys- great place to start your search for an attorney. Without more information it is not possible to give an opinion about this. The best advice would be to set an appointment with an attorney who specializes in employment law and sexual harassment cases. Then after a thorough review of all of the facts, they can give you an opinion as to whether you have a viable claim, and what procedural steps you should take. Many attorneys handle these cases on a contingency percentage fee, taking a percentage of the recovery. In contingency fee arrangements, there are no hourly fees. In some states attorneys do not charge anything for an initial appointment to discuss your case but in others there is a reasonable fee charged to compensate the attorney for their time and advice. As Abraham Lincoln said "a lawyer's stock in trade is his time." I would suggest that you begin your search for an attorney on this Avvo website. Good luck!

The inappropriate touching may constitute a battery. Although certainly offensive, name-calling with respect to a person's weight is generally speaking not prohibited. Name calling of a sexual variety, however, can and often does rise to the level of sexual harassment, particularly if it is coupled with inappropriate touching. Whether the failure to pay overtime violates the Fair Labor Standards Act may depend on what your job duties were and whether you met one of the exemptions.

Recommended articles about Employment