Skip to main content

I worked as a $10/hour assistant in a co. that ran an investment fund and I signed some checks now Im named in a lawsuit!

Miami, FL |

I am a college student that worked for an investment fund as an assistant. My boss used to go out of town a lot and to make things easier he made me a signatory on an account so I could write checks to the investors while he was away. Now the company is getting sued for fraud and RICO and money laundering. I (along with 17 other people that worked there) are named in this lawsuit. This is Crazy! I was only a signatory on the account. I do not own the account or know anything about where the money was invested. Can I be held responsible for anything ?? I was a low level employee and I did whatever my boss told me! how are these people allowed to sue me?

Attorney Answers 3


Crazy things happen. Under the law, the signer of a corporate check can not be held liable unless there is some indication that the signer intended to be personally liable. But, how do you defend yourself? For a situation such as this, you should have an attorney. There are a number of procedural tools to get the Plaintiff to back off or potentially be liable to pay your legal fees.

I realize you do not want to have to pay an attorney in the first place, but the Plaintiff has the right to start a law suit, and now you need to be adequately represented.

I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, your clicking "helpful" and/or "best answer" helps my Avvo rating and would be appreciated. This answer shall not be considered rendering legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. Avvo is a wonderful resource but nothing can substitute for an in-depth consultation face-to-face with a lawyer. The response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I agree fully with Mr. Lampert. From the plaintiff's perspective, they may have no idea of your age, experience, or involvement. They just know that you were the one signing some of the checks. So, they sued you along with the others and figure that during the discovery process they will learn more.

To keep all of your future opportunities alive, I suggest you immediately consult with an attorney who could defend you in this action, as well as with a criminal attorney to advise as to any possible criminal investigations that may be underway, whether you know of such investigations or not, and how best to respond to such questioning and possible charges. ACT NOW!!!

The law is complicated and although the facts expressed may seem to be all that is relevant, there may be many other important facts to consider. Also, the law is constantly undergoing change, so what may be correct today, may not be accurate tomorrow. Only a full consultation with an attorney experienced or knowledgeable in the specific legal subject matter is likely to result in the optimal course of action. My practice has entailed more than a 30 year span of many real estate, personal property, and bankruptcy issues. Find out more about me at:

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You will need to hire an attorney to defend you.

"This answer should not be considered legal advice. Each case is different. An a formal consultation would be need it before an specific answer can be given"

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics