I worked (scheduled)for 5 months in a startup company, with the promise of future compensation and ownership.

Maitland, FL |

After one year I was given a small percent of the company (incorporated) but have never received the compensation for the 5 months working .

Please state a question that you would like answered.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. The answer to question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. Mr. Smith is licensed to practice law throughout the state of California with offices in Los Angeles County. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States, and is also licensed to practice before the United States Tax Court. His phone number is 323-292-4116 or his email address is

You may want to speak with an attorney who can advise you based on the facts of your particular situation. Was there a written agreement in place? Did you work as an employee or an independent contractor? Did you work hourly or on a particular project? Was partial ownership of the company the only agreed upon compensation for the 5 months? What is the understanding regarding future compensation? Good luck to you.

Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, be sure to request free written information about qualifications and experience.

Your facts are too ambiguous to be analyzed. Written or oral promises. "Given a percent" - Written or oral? Demands, oral or written to company (which is or is not still in existance)?

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Your statement speaks to "future" compensation so what are your expectations as to the first 5 months of work performed? You give no facts about what your deal was as to current compensation for ongoing services vs. Deferred compensation ? Please repost with some decent facts and the question you want answered as the current post will not garner you much value...because no one knows what you are really asking. Help us help you!

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

"Future" compensation is very vague.
Let this be a lesson to always get everything in writing.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Recommended articles about Employment