I work offshore 14 & 14. My X-girlfriend had our little boy 4 days ago. What would it take for me to get at least shared custody

Asked about 1 year ago - Lafayette, LA

I work 14 & 14 offshore. My x-girlfriend had my first born son just 4 days ago. I'm wondering what would it take for me to be able to get at the minimum shared custody. I'm wondering If I would be able to have custody of him my entire two weeks that I'm off even though he is only a infant. He is on baby formula so he doesn't need his mother to breast feed. She wants me only to have custody on the weekends while I'm off . I want to be as much part of the child's life as possible. I have no proof that she would be a bad mother to the child and she has nothing on me that would prove that I would be a bad father. I helped her finically during her pregnancy. She hasn't had a job in seven years and only source of income is from her x- husband child support.

1. Larry Bernard Hampton Jr

1

Answered . You are legally entitled to file for joint and shared custody. The likelihood of success cannot be predicted, but, based on the facts stated in your question, it sounds like you would have a reasonable chance of getting shared custody.

2. Craig Bernard Mitchell

Answered . Louisiana law favors shared custody arrangements. The court, if it comes to that, will try to determine what is in your son's best interest and rule accordingly. Your schedule should not prevent you from getting shared custody.

3. Lauren G. Coleman

Answered . You are likely to get joint custody. The chance to obtain shared custody is less likely considering the age of the child and your work schedule. You should probably seek joint custody with as much time as you can get now and allow the court to revisit the custody issue in 6 or 9 months to see if shared custody is feasible at that time.