I work for American Airlines. I feel management is not protecting me. They have allowed personal information to become public.

Durham, NC |

They have allowed my direct supervisor to undermind me by spreading rumors and innundo about me. Also serveral disciplinary actions taken against me have be may public before I was informed. I am almost never backed up when dealing with a dispute with a passenger when I am simply following the rules

1. Your situation is unfortunate. Your remedy may depend largely upon whether your employment is governed by some agreement, either through an existing labor agreement with the airline or otherwise. The documents may specify how the company will protect your private information, including your disciplinary records. If there is an agreement/employment manual, you should consult the grievance procedure. If there is a union, obviously you should consult the appropriate representative. Otherwise, you should look to address the matter with the company human resources. Its a sensitive situation, given that you appear to be actively employed. If the situation can not be resolved internally, you should consult with an attorney specializing in labor and employment matters, not privacy. (I have added those fields to your query to solicit such inout.) There is little recourse under privacy laws for the situation you describe, unless actual injury is suffered.

2. Unfair treatment is not prohibited in North Carolina. You may be able to file a claim of unlawful discrimination if the unfair treatment is base on race, color, sex, national origin, religion, disability or age over 40. Unless the information that has become public is medical/health information, or its disclosure is prohibited by a collective bargaining agreement (i.e. a union contract), then there is likely nothing you can do about its release.

Kirk J. Angel is an experienced attorney who focuses his practice on employment law. Mr. Angel, who has practiced employment law for more than 15 years, represents clients throughout North Carolina and more information about him is available at www.theangellawfirm.com This response is for general informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. Additionally, this response does not create an attorney client relationship. If you need legal advice, please contact a lawyer in your state who practices in the appropriate area.

3. Even non-managerial employees need to have some measure of business sense. You are complaining that your employer doesn't back you up in disputes with customers? OF COURSE NOT! Be Grateful!

Employers do not have a legal or ethical obligation to "back up" employees in disputes with customers. In many businesses it is to the advantage of the business if a managerial or executive employee of the company "backs down" from the position taken by the front-line employee, and offers the customer or client some face-saving conciliation. This is savvy sophisticated business technique that costs the employing business nothing.

The sensitivities and egos of the employees are not part of this calculation. The customer dispute dance is part of what employees get paid for.

Do you not realize that your employer's interests are your interests in the big picture? What is good for your employer is good for you as an employee. Just try getting paid by a company that went out of business or one that got eaten by a competitor.

This is not about you -- as so many things in the big world are not. Let go of this narrow and short-sighted need to be coddled and get on your employer's team. Or go find a warm fuzzy job where your employer and you both believe that your needs trump the interests of the business.

Christine McCall, License Advocates Law Group
    www.LicenseAdvocates.com
    www.CaliforniaLicenseLaw.com

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.