I work for a dentist who has singled me out several times and screamed and hollered at me for no good reason.

Pasadena, MD |

Last week in front of co-workers he went into a rant and not only pointed his finger in my face but told me to shut up on several occasions when I was trying to explain what had really taken place. The dentist I work for spoke to him that evening telling him his action were way out of line. But the following day he never spoke to me just gave me dirty looks all day. Then when my day was over the office manger asked if the dentist in question had spoken to me and I said no she said he needed me to stay so we could talk. I am a single mother and told her I had no one to pick my daughter up and he has had all day to inform me that he needed to talk to me. So I left to go get my daughter. The dentist then called and started hollering at me again on the phone and threaten to fire me on Monday.

1. It would seem, from your facts, that the Dentist is just not very professional. But you have not provided any facts that would give into discriminatory or illegal behavior. Perhaps it's time to dust off the resume and start looking for a better job.

This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.

2. Unfortunatly, it is not unlawful for your boss to be a jerk; rather it is only unlawful if this behavior was motivated by some discriminatory reason or in retaliation for you making a complaint about some illegal activity or asserting a protected right under the law. If you believe that in fact the reason for the hostile work environment was due to such unlawful reasoning, you should speak to an employment attorney right away.

Any information provided here is for information purposes only and is not to be construed as legal advice or intended to create an attorney client relationship. Attorney Michael Goldstein is licensed in Massachusetts only and is associated with counsel in RI, MD and DC.