I won a small claims action against my previous landlord, has taken years now he died how do I collect against his apartments?

Asked about 1 year ago - Sturgeon Bay, WI

He went into my apartment and stole my home office system, I got him in court, won the small claims judgement, has taken over a year to do. He recently fell down stairs and died. Him and his wife own lots of property and apartments, are very scandalous persons. They dragged out this settlement, paying me the money awarded me in small claims for a long time. Unfortunately, I only added him to the initial complaint for which the money was awarded me, but they are partners in the apartments/property. How do I get my monetary damages awarded me in small claims court against the deceased, against his property? Thank you.

1. Zachary J. Kluck

Pro

2

Answered . You should post this question in the probate section because you will have to file some sort of claim in the probate estate.

2. James P. Frederick

2

Answered . You have a claim against his ESTATE, if he has one. The potential problem I see is that there may not be an estate, if all of the assets were jointly owned between spouses. If that is the case, it is likely you will not be able to collect the balance of your judgment. I would review this with a probate attorney who can help you investigate further to determine how best to proceed. Most attorneys offer a free initial consultation.

James Frederick

3. Charles Adam Shultz

1

Answered . You need to determine how title to his apartments were held. You also need to file a creditor's claim against his estate and/or trust. Have you reduced your award to a judgment? You may want to consider placing a lien on his property. You really need a civil attorney familiar with probate, or a Probate litigation attorney. A general property attorney may not have enough experience to deal with the civil aspects of your claim.