I won a judgment or $100,000 and Fraud was listed in the complaint can I

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Can I go to the police station and make a report for Fraud for borrowing money with no intent to pay back and file a complaint with the city attorney I already won the case

1. James Carl Eschen III

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . As Mr. Doland points out, you have not won the case as far as criminal liability is concerned because the burden of proof is different. You could try anyway to see if the police are interested, but I doubt it, especially since you did not go to them right away when this occurred.

Right now, your interest is in getting your money back. Sending the defendant to prison would actually interfere with the ability to pay your damages.

2. Michael Charles Doland

7

1

Answered . The burden of proof and the elements of civil and criminal (and bankruptcy and securities) fraud are all different. The answer to your question is "probably not".

3. Thomas Anthony Schaeffer

6

1

Answered . What have you got to lose? You already won a civil judgment and the police may use some of the record in a criminal prosecution but, as has been pointed out, one does not necessarily lead to the other.

4. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

7

1

Answered . You are always entitled to file a report with the local law enforcement if you believe you are the victim of a crime. Since you have taken this matter through the civil court system, I have to wonder if too much time may have passed for the police to be able to help you though. Hope this perspective helps!