I won a judgment in small claims court. Debtor filed bankruptcy this month. Can I claim this a loss on my 2013 income taxes?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

The amount of judgment is $5,000. It is for an automobile which was totaled and the debtor did not have auto insurance and I did not have uninsured motorist insurance.

1. Alan D. Walton

Pro

8

Answered . Yes, but only to the extent the amount written off (less salvage value and less $100), exceeds 10% of your adjusted gross income.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

7

Answered . I would assume you could, but this is really a tax question & I am moving it to that area so that the tax experts can help you. Hope this perspective helps!

3. Samuel R Walker

Pro

4

Answered . You can deduct a loss for a business in the year it is worthless. For personal expenses it is called a casualty loss and is a deductible based on some limitations.

4. Diane L Gruber

Pro

5

Answered . Ask your tax preparer.