I wish to change from a bench trial to a jury trial in a Bankruptcy adversary case.

Asked about 3 years ago - Oakland, CA

I am a pro se and the matter has not reached discovery cut off yet.

What is the best way to do this?
It seems that the matter is much more likely to settle if a jury demand is made.

Help!

1. Michael J Corbin

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . You have no automatic right to a jury trial in bankruptcy court. While you can make an application for one, it will not automatically be granted. Further, there is federal law indicating that both sides must agree to a jury trial in order for a bankruptcy judge to order one. While you give no specifics in your post that would help in seeing if your dispute would be ripe for a jury trial, I highly doubt that is the case. Plus, your opponent probably won't agree to one, so I would have to say that you're out of luck.

2. Eric Charles Lewis

Answered . The federal Constitution does not guarantee the right to a jury trial in a federal civil case.

3. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Answered . Unless the other side agrees, you will not get a jury trial in bankruptcy court.