I will get a divorce. what can I do to prepare for a better settlement before I start the process?

Asked about 4 years ago - Windham, CT

I have the normal property, house cars, furnishings etc. I have paid all living expenses--retirement, mortgage, insurance and the like. During the marraige my spouse used all their income for personal desires, gifts and vacations with those other than family. It would be unfair if I had to fund my spouses finacially irresponsible ways again.

1. Robert L Fiedler

Answered . Your question does not provide anywhere near enough information to form an answer. In terms of preparation, you should gather as much information/documentation as you can to provide to an attorney and/or the court (if you represent yourself) so that a proper answer can be given.
    In addition to the financial information, other factors can play a role in impacting the result. For example, the length of the marriage, employment, fault and the like can play effect an outcome.
    I think you need to sit down with an attorney and review the entire situation before a response to your underlying question can be answered.

2. Frederick Scott Islieb

Answered . There are to many issues in your question. Seek out a local divorce attorney for advice.

This is general legal information. Please find a local attorney for advice. No attorney client priviledge was created.