I will get a divorce. what can I do to prepare for a better settlement before I start the process?

Windham, CT |
Filed under: Divorce

I have the normal property, house cars, furnishings etc. I have paid all living expenses--retirement, mortgage, insurance and the like. During the marraige my spouse used all their income for personal desires, gifts and vacations with those other than family. It would be unfair if I had to fund my spouses finacially irresponsible ways again.

1. There are to many issues in your question. Seek out a local divorce attorney for advice.

This is general legal information. Please find a local attorney for advice. No attorney client priviledge was created.

2. Your question does not provide anywhere near enough information to form an answer. In terms of preparation, you should gather as much information/documentation as you can to provide to an attorney and/or the court (if you represent yourself) so that a proper answer can be given.
    In addition to the financial information, other factors can play a role in impacting the result. For example, the length of the marriage, employment, fault and the like can play effect an outcome.
    I think you need to sit down with an attorney and review the entire situation before a response to your underlying question can be answered.