I will be turning 18 soon and want to know what i have to do to be free from guardians jurisdiction?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Because my parents want to send me back to school in the Dominican Republic and i don't like it here. Also isn't it turn that when a minor turns 18 she/he is free from guardians jurisdiction and i want to know how to re-instate my self back into school In new york city

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

4

9

Answered . Depending upon our specific set of facts you may be able to self emancipate, please chat with a local NY attny, take care.

2. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

6

Answered . For the purposes you state, you are an adult at the age of 18. If you leave your parent's house & control before the age of 21, however, you may forfeit your right to receive financial assistance from them. Thus, you're best advised to schedule a consultation with a NYC Child Custody lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  3. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

5

Answered . You can emancipate yourself under certain conditions.

You would be well-served to discuss your dilemma with a New York domestic relations or guardianship attorney in a confidential forum as soon as possible.

4. Marco Caviglia

Pro

4

Answered . At 18, you can free yourself. Vaya con Dios.