I will be receiving money from my late Dad's will. Can it be taken from my account for my husbands debt?

Asked over 1 year ago - Garden, MI

The money will be paid in my own personal bank account and not me and my husband's joint account. We are married in community of property. Can they take my money out of my account for his dept when he pays his accounts every month or does it only happen when he doesn't pay his accounts? Thank you! Cecilia

Attorney answers (4)

  1. James C. Higgs

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is a debt collection question, not really a probate question. Once the money is in your account it is yours and subject to rules regarding Garnishment. If there is not an outstanding judgment against you, and your husband's name is not on the account they should not be garnishing your account. If they do appeal it within the statutory period.

  2. Peter L. Conway

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your question is a little confusing. You will get the most accurate answer by meeting with a lawyer. The lawyer can review your situation and help you to ensure that your money is not used to pay your husband's debts.

    Generally speaking, if you maintain a separate account, it cannot be garnished for a debt that your husband, alone, has incurred.

    I am licensed to practice law in Michigan and Virginia and regularly handle cases of this sort. You should not... more
  3. Julie Aletta Paquette

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In Michigan, your bank account generally cannot be taken to pay a judgment that is only in your husband's name. The creditor has to obtain a judgment before they can garnish your husband's accounts anyway. It may be worthwhile to have your husband meet with an attorney to try to reduce the amounts he owes.

  4. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. As long as the debt is your husband's alone, and the bank account is YOURS alone, then creditors should not be able to reach your inheritance unless you have agreed to be responsible for some of the debts.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,845 answers this week

3,017 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,845 answers this week

3,017 attorneys answering