Skip to main content

I will be awarded the home in my divorce that I owned before the marriage. Is quit claim deed needed?

Phoenix, AZ |

I am going thru a divorce right now and my husband has signed a consent decree with me awarded the home. The title and morgage is held in my name only as unmarried with no loans taken out during the marriage against the property. Is that sufficient to transfer any interest in the home once the decree is finalized or would a quit claim deed be necessary? Would the Divorce decree it's self be acceptable to lenders in the future should I need to refinance or sell down the road? If I were to record the divorce decree in regards to this would it be acceptable to record only the page awarding the home?

Attorney Answers 3


The attorney handling your divorce should know the answers to these questions and I urge you to consult them before seeking second opinions. If you are doing your own divorce then you need to consult a local attorney to make sure everything is done right. You have very real assets to protect (your home). It sounds like most of the work has been done so it should not cost as much.
That being said, if you were in Kentucky (I do not practice in AZ and have no opinion regarding AZ law) then you would need the Quit Claim Deed. No you could not just file a page from your divorce decree. And no the divorce decree itself would not be enough for lenders in the future. Doing this the right way now will save you tons in the future. Good Luck

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I'd just like to add that it's just "cleaner" to have your soon to be ex quitclaim any claim to an interest in the house. While not common, sometimes issues arise post-divorce and this is one way to ensure that your house doesn't get tied up in any disputes.

Accessing this website or receiving an electronic transmission from Nagle Law Group, P.C., or any specific attorney at Nagle Law Group, P.C., does not create an attorney-client relationship or any other duty on the part of Nagle Law Group, P.C. An attorney-client relationship is only created upon an express agreement with an attorney at Nagle Law Group, P.C.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


File a quit claim deed just to be sure there are no future problems. The page from the Divorce Decree is legally insufficient. Technically, you don't need the hone transferred to yo at all. Even without a quit claim deed. It is already yours. However get the quit claim signed just to be safe.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics