I will be applying for my green card and my spouse is still studying on F1 . Should I add my spouse also in my GC application ?

Dallas, TX |
Filed under: Green cards

I will be applying for my green card and my spouse is still studying on F1 . Should I add my spouse also in my GC application ? Will it be difficult for my spouse to file for H1B after the course complete if our GC process starts?

If you are legally married to a foreign national at the time of filing your I-485, it is generally best to have your spouse file an I-485 as a derivative at the same time. They should still maintain non-immigrant status if at all possible. If she properly maintains her F-1, the I-485 filing should not impact her H-1B eligibility later on, as H-1B is a dual-intent form of status.

This response is general in nature and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 214-887-8507 to schedule a consultation.

All questions on immigration forms must be answered truthfully. If your priority date is current, your spouse should apply for adjustment of status.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Yes, include the spouse in the application.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney http://www.shautsova.com Blog: http://www.russianspeakinglawyerny.com