I will be 21 yrs old in july this year and a green card holder. my 5yr residency will commence in april this year.

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

question: do i need to wait my bday to apply for my citizenship or i can start applying in april as it is my 5th yr being a US resident. thanks.

1. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

2

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

2. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

2

1

Answered . You can apply even sooner. That is, within 90 days of the fifth anniversary. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

Answered . Yu can apply 90 days (or less) before the 5 year anniversary of the residence (4 years and 9 months).

4. Dean P Murray

1

1

Answered . You can send in your N-400 application within 90 days (or 3 months) of the fifth anniversary of your permanent residence. The exact date is on your Permanent Resident Card. (Be careful, if it is even one day early, USCIS will bounce it back to you and you will have to send it in again).

There is much more to applying for an immigration benefit than completing forms. Unless you have training in immigration law, you are likely not even aware of all the potential pitfalls. An immigration lawyer can protect your interests and prevent you from jeopardizing the ability of anyone to eventually become a permanent resident or a U.S. citizen. Some mistakes are reversible, while some are not. Do yourself a favor and consult a professional.

If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

---------------------------
    Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

5. Veronica Tunitsky

Answered . You can apply 4 years 9 months after the effective date on your green card.