I will be 17 here in a few weeks, i want to move out of my grandparents house, is it possable to do so?

Asked over 1 year ago - Centennial, CO

We fight a lot, they dont seem to understand where I am coming from, and i feel that they are keeping me in the house way to much and dont let me out to do things.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. David Littman


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Do your grandparents have legal custody or guardianship over you? If so, they would need to give permission for you to move out. Being 18 will happen soon enough and then they will have no obligation to support you, although many parents and grandparents continue to provide housing and financial assistance. While it may be that they don't understand you, you will have many years where you will have to take care of yourself. Don't be in too big a hurry.

  2. Alexandra Michele White

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with David Littman that the answer depends on whether your grandparents have custody of you or not. If they don't, you could return to your parent or parents' home. If they do have custody of you then they are obligated to provide you with a place to live. They might call the police and report you as a missing child. Whether the police would force you to return to their home is an unknown considering your age. Police departments and their policies vary from county to county and officers themselves vary. I encourage you to continue to go to school regardless of what you do.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,381 answers this week

3,224 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,381 answers this week

3,224 attorneys answering