I went to get income tax records -w2's- from the comptroller of the treasury, revenue administration center. I was told that

Asked 5 months ago - Bowie, MD

they only had access to a certain year. This seems unusual as they did a search via my ssn# and handed me a 'printout' of a w-2. The story was the employer didn't send them the info. If they search by ssn, aren't they searching a database and shouldn't they have the information on each year? And what should I say when I go back and re-inquire for the copies of the information again?

1. Robb Adam Longman

Pro

5

Answered . The IRS and Maryland can only provide information that has been sent to them by your employer. Did you check with the IRS to see if they have any information? While it won't show state withholding it will show the income. I would also recommend checking with another person at the Comptroller's office. sometimes a different person knows more about finding the information.

2. Thomas J. Wagner

5

Answered . If in fact your employer did not send W-2's in, they certainly can't provide information that they don't have. In that case, our issue is with your employer.

3. Kevin Matthew Sayed

1

Answered . Check with the IRS as they will be more likely to have W-2s than the office of comptroller. Otherwise, you need to contact the employer and whomever prepared their books.

4. Duston K Barton

Answered . I agree with what you've been told above. However, if it was more than a few years ago the IRS will not have access to the paper W-2s. In that case, the SSA is the best place to go. For some weird reason, the SSA keeps actual paper W-2's for many years, while the IRS does not. When I was defending the IRS in trust fund recovery cases and we needed copies of the W-2's we'd often have to go to the SSA -- the IRS simply did not have the forms.