I went to court for a DUI, and was put on 3 months probation, and a few days ago I got a MIP. What is most likely to happen?

Asked over 1 year ago - College Station, TX

The DUI was the first time I've ever been in trouble. I had a perfectly clean record before that.

1. Jim Mitchell Medley

4

1

Answered . Alcohol is not kind to you.

Is your MIP in the same court as the DUI? If it isn't, careful and quick representation may help you keep from having both convictions. Get a lawyer to represent you on the new case. Stop drinking until you're old enough to do it legally. You are on the road to DWIs and a lifetime of suspended licenses and jail. Turn it around now while you can. You have your whole life in front of you.

2. James Richard Butler

Pro

4

Answered . Your minor in possession case is a new law violation. That is a violation of your terms of probation. The state can file a motion to revoke your probation resulting in a warrant for your arrest. Some judges will set a high bond or no bond until you surrender yourself to the Court. . I am not trying to judge you, but getting a minor in possession while on probation for DWI is indicative of an alcohol problem. If I were you I would begin attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. This way you can show the court that you are attempting to resolve that issue.Remember, the court has three options available. They can extend your probation modify your probation or revoke your probation. You can also reach an agreement with the state to dismiss the motion altogether. I hope this information helps..

3. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

3

Answered . It sounds like you're saying you were still on your ninety day deferred when you picked up the MIP? If the DUI court finds out about the new case, they will set the DUI for a show-cause hearing. You need an attorney to represent you at that to try to convince the judge not to convict you on the DUI. The judge can extend your probation period and add more conditions on you rather than convict you. If the cases are in the same court, your attorney may be able to work out a "package deal" that addresses both cases. Do whatever you have to to prevent convictions so you can eventually expunge all this from your record.

4. Stephen A. Gustitis

2

Answered . In addition to the excellent advice from the other lawyers, make sure you DO NOT make any decisions or take ANY action until you hire a qualified criminal defense lawyer. You are in a very precarious position. Only an experienced defense lawyer can help you in making the correct decisions.