I went to a car lot for first time ever, was financed for a '02 ford explr xlt without a valid driver license...

Waco, TX |

had car 4 months only whn it started overheating. when I got car it almost had 200,000 miles on it... sent it to servc dept n cldnt afford $3000 in repairs so im without a vehiclec bc theyd only approve me for another one if I put another $500 den when I had alrdy put $2000 dwn to begin with... can I sue them?

1. Sue them for?

Providing general answers are meant to help the poster to understand some complex legal concepts and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship.

2. That scam is pretty common around Houston and they almost always have an Arbitration clause in the documents. You can always go down to Justice of the Peace Court and file it yourself... ask for a Jury. Filing is about $50 if you send the lawsuit over by certified mail instead of Sheriff's service of process. See if there is a student run clinic at the Baylor Law School maybe they could help you for free! Good luck. Also, they will say everything is AS-IS, but get on the internet and look up the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act. One case that had good facts and documents we did showed the same car was resold 4 times in one year by the same shady dealer, each time on 4 year financing. Clearly, he knew it was worthless.

DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. THIS IS GENERAL EDUCATIONAL INFORMATION ONLY AND SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON AS ACTUAL LEGAL ADVICE. FOR LEGAL REPRESENTATION OR A CONSULTATION, PLEASE CONTACT OUR FIRM DIRECTLY. USE A GOOGLE SEARCH. WE CAN MEET NEAR YOU IF NEEDED AND YOU ARE LOCAL-- EVENINGS & WEEKENDS MEETINGS ARE OK! OR JUST CLICK ON MY NAME TO GET MY WEBSITE VIA THE BUTTON ON MY PROFILE. Mark my answer as BEST or HELPFUL if it is!!

3. Of course you can sue them. You can also lose. You are surprised that a car with 200,000 miles on it has mechanical problems 4 months after you buy it? I don't think a court will be. I have had clients whose car breaks on them on the way home from the car lot! A court will not be impressed either if you tell them that you have been driving it for 4 months without a valid driver's license.

Nothing contained herein should be considered as legal advice for any specific situation and nothing herein is intended to create a lawyer-client relationship. Every case is very "fact-specific" and persons wishing legal advice on a specific matter should contact me or another attorney for an appointment to review their particular circumstances and to create a lawyer-client relationship. Gregory L. Abbott, Attorney at Law, 6635 North Baltimore, Suite 254, Portland, Oregon 97203. Tel: 503-283-4568; Fax: 503-283-4586; Email: gregabbott@comcast.net. Specializing in Consumer and Small Business Law.

Arbitration topics