I was wrongfully fired from my job because one of the employed said i was late when i wasn't, can i do anything about it?

Asked 5 months ago - New York, NY

he said he saw me walking to my job an hour late when im always on time and i don't walk to my job because i have a car, when i asked if they saw the time timesheets to verified i was late they said no, if they had any proof they said no, and still fired me, i was a full time in the company.

1. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

2

Answered . If you think the reason was just an excuse to cover up discrimination, you should consult an employment lawyer. Otherwise, unless you have a union, you can only try to collect unemployment.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . Unless you had a contract, you were an at-will employee and therefore could be fired for any reason or no reason so long as it was not an unconstitutional reason such as based on race, gender, religion, etc.

3. Vincent Peter White

1

Answered . Unless you feel the termination was motivated by some form of discrimination or retaliation then there is not much my firm could do to assist you. I am sorry.

4. Glenn Johnston

Answered . I agree with my colleagues - even IF the person lied, unless there is some discriminatory intent, or unless you are a Union employee or an employee with a contract, they can fire you for any reason. There is nothing that most attorneys can do to help.

I also don't think it is worth your time suing the employee that likely lied about your tardiness, because that employee probably doesn't have any money to pay a judgment, and you'd be spending more than you would get on lawyer fees and court filings.

Sorry I couldn't give you better news.

This does not constitute legal advice or the engagement of my services as an attorney.