Skip to main content

I was wrongfully accused of theft where I work and was fired. Do I go straight to the Labor Board or seek a Lawyer?

Buena Park, CA |

There are other people who have access to this money. I did not do this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I would seek an Employment attorney who would be able to guide you in the right direction. Criminal defense attorneys usually represent individuals accused of crimes by the State (government).

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Practicing throughout Southern California
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.


I agree with the first response you received but I'm uncertain from the information you posted as to whether you have been, or expect to be, arrested for the alleged theft. If the answer to that is Yes, then you need to have the assistance of a good criminal defense attorney in your area.


I agree with Mr. Weinstein and have taken the liberty of editing the practice area for your question.


Employment in California is at will. This means that your employment may be terminated for any reason, except to the extent that you are protected by law. Your employer has the right to rely on information provided by others in terminating your employment. Further, your employer may terminate your employment if it suspects that you are guilty of misconduct. If does not particularly matter if the employer's conclusion is correct because, as I said, employment is at will. Your employer does not necesarily need a reason to terminate your employment. In the facts that you identify, it appears as though your employer did not violate the law when it terminated your employment. When you were terminated, were you paid all wages due to you, including any accrued vacation time? I not, you may have a wage claim.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer