I was working on a friends roof in the rain when a cordless screw gun slipped and punctured my finger requiring stitches

Asked 5 months ago - Lihue, HI

He said he would pay my medical bills. now he said he will not. and even threatened to fight me.
Do have a case? this happened 5 months ago, tried to contact him when got my medical bills totaling almost $2000. He never returned my calls or texts until i mentioned may file a claim. Then he called me got irate and said he wanted to fight me. have all this saved via text on my phone.

1. William H. Lawson

Pro

1

Answered . This type of change of heart by your friend is pretty common these days, so I wouldn't take it personally. The time deadlines for pursuing a case have probably not passed. If your friend was negligent (you have not really provided any facts from which this could be determined) and if he has homeowner's or renter's insurance on that house, then the insurance should cover him for any liability that he might have to you. You haven't really provided the basic facts about what happened to make it possible to determine if your friend was negligent nor if such negligence was the legal cause of your injuries. A free consult with an Accident Lawyer in Hawaii might help.

2. Zaheer A Shah

Pro

2

Answered . Were you his employee or merely doing him a favor? Assuming the latter, he is likely responsible for your injuries and you ought to seek out a personal injury attorney in your state to review all potential legal remedies.

3. Maryam Parman

Pro

1

Answered . Your friend has to be somehow liable for your injuries. You may have a worker's compensation claim if he paid you. Otherwise, you can always try small claims.

4. Richard Todd Rosenstein

Answered . You should contact a personal injury lawyer in your jurisdiction for advice. You can run a "find a lawyer" search here on Avvo to locate personal injury lawyers in Hawaii.