Skip to main content

I was wondering if it is possible to get my traffic violation reduced/dismissed and/or if I need an attorney.

Leesburg, VA |

I was going 101 mph in a 65 speed limit zone. I was on the Dulles Greenway. It was a beautiful, clear day, with almost no cars on the road. I got pulled over and charged with reckless driving by speeding. I'm 17 and in highschoo. I was with one other friend in the car. I've never been pulled over before and have never broken any laws. 3.5 GPA student, 2 sports, a job that I need to commute to. I'm taking my car in to see if there are any issues that may relate to my speedometer being off (or to find an excuse as to why I was speeding). Mom's insurance would more than double and we would rather not have my license suspended and pay that hefty fine. I was driving an 03 Volvo s60 AWD. I know this sounds bratty but it's the truth. I learned my lesson. I'm taking driving school before court.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Are you kidding? 101 miles per hour?? If you were an adult, you better be worried about jail. You need serious help NOW and you act like no big deal. Do you know where to take a car at that speed to get the speedometer checked? Do you know how to prepare the case for defense? Do you know what driving classes you better take before court? You better see an attorney quickly to begin preparing your case. And you are worried about mom's insurance rates?? You better be worried she is not cancelled by her insurance company or forced to sign an agreement with the insurance company that you will not not drive any of her cars. You will never convince a court with this dribble, you better hire a good experienced attorney now to get ready for your case. You are in serious trouble; wake up and treat this accordingly.

  2. Mr. Penn is correct. You need experienced local counsel. I have been on the Greenway and I know that it's an easy road to speed on, but the Juvenile Court judges in Loudoun County will take this extremely seriously. Meet with 2 or 3 lawyers (almost all will do free consultations) and explore your options before your court date.

  3. No! You should be more worried about how to stay out of jail. This is not a minor situation in which you find yourself. You definitely need the help of an experienced reckless driving defense attorney who will hopefully keep you out of jail, and work something out so that you don't lose your license for the next 6 months. Good luck.

    Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

    James Garrett
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    (757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

    Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics