I was wondering if I could leave home anytime before my 18th birthday legally without being emancipated.

Asked 10 months ago - Louisville, KY

I have read that I could leave 5 months before I turned 18 as long as I was graduated from high school.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael William Bouldin

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In Kentucky you are a minor until you turn 18 years of age. Your parents could charge you as a runaway - a status offense - in juvenile court. If your parents agree, guardianship could be granted to someone else.

    Kentucky law does not certify specialty of practice in this area. The advice given herein is informational and... more
  2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No, you need to wait until you turn 18. Simply wait the 5 months in order to avoid being charged as a runaway.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,921 answers this week

2,803 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,921 answers this week

2,803 attorneys answering