I was wondering if I could leave home anytime before my 18th birthday legally without being emancipated.

Louisville, KY |
Filed under: Family law Juvenile law

I have read that I could leave 5 months before I turned 18 as long as I was graduated from high school.

In Kentucky you are a minor until you turn 18 years of age. Your parents could charge you as a runaway - a status offense - in juvenile court. If your parents agree, guardianship could be granted to someone else.

Kentucky law does not certify specialty of practice in this area. The advice given herein is informational and should not be considered as creating an attorney/client relationship. Michael Bouldin is an independent attorney located in Northern Kentucky. It is strongly recommended to not give any confidential information on any website.

No, you need to wait until you turn 18. Simply wait the 5 months in order to avoid being charged as a runaway.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Recommended articles about Family law