I was wondering if I could get some advice from a structural damage attorney

Asked over 1 year ago - Newfane, NY

A driver plowed into our tree on our property. The crash literally caused the house to shake. This is where things become a little difficult. 15 years ago we repaired a crack in our basement foundation. This crack was in direct path of the tree/crash. For the past 15 years we had no problems whatsover, no further cracks, no leakage, nothing. A day after the accident I went down to the basement and heard a tinkle, as if water was coming in. The crack that was repaired 15 years ago had separated. Water is now leaking in our basement. IS IT POSSIBLE that this accident had anything to do with this? The insurance adjuster came yesterday and said well I don't think so because it was alreay repaired. Will need to have a structural engineer check it out. WHAT DO YOU THINK? IS IT POSSIBLE?

1. Jeffrey Mark Adams

6

Answered . If you mean the insurance adjuster for the insurance company of the plow company, then you've made mistake number one. Sharing all the details that you've posted is mistake number two. Before mistake number 3 occurs you need to consult with a local attorney who is qualified in property damage claims and probably litigation as well. Asking for advise here was wise, now move beyond.

Even if you reported this to your carrier, the above holds. If you haven't reported, do so after consulting with counsel. Act asap.

You will need your own appraiser and/or engineer. Understand insurance companies look to minimize any payout. Good luck.

2. Anthony A. Ferrante

Pro

4

Answered . Attorney Adams offers excellent advice. I suggest you follow it.

Is it possible - yes. Are a group of lawyers the best people to answer that question- no.

Most importantly you should avoid providing any more details to the insurance company for the other person's vehicle. Their knee jerk reactions will be to avoid payment as much as possible. If the damage to your home is significant you should hire an attorney as this is really the only way to force an insurance carrier to pay on a claim.

If it is not significant enough for an attorney to get involved you may be able to get an engineers opinion for $1000-$1500 but there is no guarantee that the carrier will give it any weight.

3. George Costas Andriotis

5

Answered . You need to consult an attorney ASAP and be careful of what you publicly disclose in forums such as this. Good Luck.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Pro

4

Answered . Retain a local insurance lawyer in your city to get you compensation to properly fix your house.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  5. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

2

Answered . Hire a lawyer and then let him hire the structural engineer. You will need the engineer's opinion to bring a case for structural damages. Best of luck.