I was wondering if felons are allow to leave the country

Asked almost 2 years ago - Waynesboro, PA

i have a possession of marijuana charge. n i want to go to guatemala next summer for school. im off probation january

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Adam D. Zucker


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Leaving the country is not the issue. The issue is whether the country you are going to will let you in. Canada for example considers DUIs a felony and has refused folks entry to the country. Your best bet would be to consult with the Guatmalan consulate or embassay regarding their requirments long before you spend the money for the trip. If you have completed probation there should be nothing from the US end that will prevent your exiting the country.

    This information does not create an attorney /client relationship and should not be use or relied upon to make any... more
  2. Ellis B. Klein


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Some countries will deny entry in your situation. My best advise is to call the US Embassy in the country to which you are travelling.
    Good luck

  3. Robert Amadeo Mancini

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . It does not sound like you are a felon. I think it will depend on Guatemala more than being allowed to leave the country.

  4. C Robert Brooks

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You are allowed to leave the country without a problem. However, the real issue is whether the country you want to visit will allow you entry. Best thing is to contact their embassy and find out if it would be a problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,954 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,954 answers this week

2,918 attorneys answering