I was watching porn and had a few tabs open and suddenly a pop up w/ gov. seal saying I was viewing child porn. Is this real?

Baltimore, MD |

I was on what I thought was a normal porn site and I refreshed the page and got a pop up. It said I was accused of watching child porn, had the government seal on it and a picture of Obama in the top right corner. I quickly exited out of the window because I was so scared. Then another window popped up claiming that my files would be looked at, and something about encryption (I'm not good with computers).Obviously I wasn't intending to look at child porn, and unless it was in one of the tabs I had pulled up but not opened yet I really don't think there was any child porn at all. Can I get in trouble for this? I'm still shaking. I plan on applying to Law school next year (I'm a junior in college) and I am freaking out. Please help :/

1. I added the tagline of criminal defense to your query because the attorneys who can help you are those who practice in criminal defense on a daily basis. They will have the practical experience necessary to give you a practical answer with the legal ramifications.

This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California.

2. Risks of viewing sexually explicit material online include getting charged under the criminal obscenity and child pornography laws. I have not heard of government agencies nor agents arranging such pop-ups.

I would not be surprised if some webmasters get kicks out of providing sexually explicit images on a website, and then having a message or image pop up -- by the webmasters -- to scare you.

In any event, none of this is legal advice. You should consult with a qualified lawyer on this matter. All the best. Jon

None of my comments on AVVO's website constitute legal advice. It is only food for thought for matters to address with a qualified laywer. My website's disclaimer page at http://katzjustice.com/disclaimer.htm applies to all my answers on AVVO.com .

3. This is the 3rd time I've seen this particular question on AVVO recently. If the other 2 times weren't you, then someone is getting his jollies by making popups that are scaring people, most likely into doing something... I'm not sure what, maybe clicking a link, or maybe inserting a virus into your computer. Do a virus & spybot scan. I'm pretty sure that President Obama has no idea that you were watching porn. You can get specific advice on the criminal law aspects of this by consulting with a MD criminal defense attorney.

If my answer was helpful to you, I would appreciate if you would mark it either "helpful" or "best answer" if you feel that applies, as AVVO gives us rating points based on feedback. Thank you! Please note that the above answer is not to be construed as legal advice. It is my personal opinion based on your question, and it was given without obtaining the detailed information that I would normally request in order to render comprehensive legal advice. I advise you to consult with a local attorney of your choosing to obtain specific legal advice. The fact that I answered your question does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me.

4. It's a scam computer virus which tries to scare its victims into paying a fine in order to avoid prosecution. Google it; you'll generate hundreds of news stories reporting on it.

5. It might be a scam. Usually, law enforcement does not give an opportunity to get away. Instead, they would show up at your door with warrants for you and your computer.

An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor legal advice, and no one should rely on it as such. If you have a legal problem or question, you should consult with an attorney, who can investigate the particular circumstances of your situation. Responding to a post does not constitute legal representation. I am not your lawyer, until we make an agreement and I receive my fee. Beware that posts and replies are not confidential. Anyone can read them.