I was wanting to know if a company can fire you if they found out that you were planning to get an expensive surgery?

I recently became a full time employee and was diagnosed with a bad hip joint in need of replacement. I had worked for them for 8 monthes. during that time I never missed a day of work, This is an Electrical Maintenance job and at no time did I ever fail to complete an assigned task. I was actually given harder tasks than the senior mechanics because of my knowledge and experience.I was fired for failure to complete assigned work after they learned of my upcoming hip replacement surgery....I have learned that this is not the first time that this company has done this.

Youngstown, OH -

Mishka L Marshall

Mishka L Marshall

Employment / Labor Attorney - Phoenix, AZ

Sounds like there may be a claim, but it really depends on a number of factors. Consult a local employment attorney. Try the Find A Lawyer feature on Avvo to locate someone in your area. Good luck.

Stephan Isaiah Voudris

Stephan Isaiah Voudris

Employment / Labor Attorney - Chagrin Falls, OH

You should contact an employment lawyer. It is possible that they discriminated against you because of a disability or perceived disability. If you would like to talk about this further, please feel free to give me a call.

Rachel Anne Sabo

Rachel Anne Sabo

Employment / Labor Attorney - Columbus, OH

You should contact an employment attorney for a free consultation. It sounds like there may be a claim for disability or perceived disability discrimination but more information is needed.