I WAS VICTIM OF A RAPE ON 2010 BUT I JUST FILED THE REPORT CAN I APPLY FOR A U-VISA?

Waukegan, IL |

THE POLICE WENT TO SEE ME TO MY HOUSE BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO GO TO COURT AND FACE THIS PERSON . CAN I STILL APLY FOR THE VISA?

1. This seems to be an immigration question, but needs more detail to answer properly - repost or call an immigration attorney, best of luck.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Theodor Kapun and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney.

2. You need top sit down with an immigration attorney to understand all of your rights.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

3. Theoretically, yes. Practically, talk to a good immigration attorney in IL.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

4. I am so sorry this happened to you! To be eligible for a U visa, the three main things are that 1) you were the victim of a crime IN THE U.S.; 2) you were hurt physically/mentally as a result of the crime, and 3) you assisted law enforcement with the crime's prosecution. Not knowing the details of your case, it seems to me that you may be able to still apply, as long as the crime occurred in the U.S. it shouldn't matter that it occurred in 2010 as long as you now are willing to assist the police. I would advise you to speak with a good immigration attorney in your area. You should perhaps talk to a few over the phone and see if there is one you feel you can trust with such a traumatic and personal event as rape. I would also advise you, if you haven't already done so, to seek out counseling and assistance to help you deal with the emotional suffering that this experience no doubt caused you. I wish you the best of luck.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

5. There is no strict time limit to file for a U-Visa, however you will need certification from the police or prosecutor that your were a victim of a crime and helpful in the investigation or prosecution. A competent attorney can help you obtain the certification and apply for a U-visa, if you qualify.

Law Office of Mary K. Neal | www.immigratechicago.com | info@rogersparklaw.com| 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.