I WAS VICTIM OF A RAPE ON 2010 BUT I JUST FILED THE REPORT CAN I APPLY FOR A U-VISA?

Asked over 1 year ago - Waukegan, IL

THE POLICE WENT TO SEE ME TO MY HOUSE BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO GO TO COURT AND FACE THIS PERSON . CAN I STILL APLY FOR THE VISA?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Theoretically, yes. Practically, talk to a good immigration attorney in IL.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

Answered . You need top sit down with an immigration attorney to understand all of your rights.

3. Mary Kathleen Neal

2

Answered . There is no strict time limit to file for a U-Visa, however you will need certification from the police or prosecutor that your were a victim of a crime and helpful in the investigation or prosecution. A competent attorney can help you obtain the certification and apply for a U-visa, if you qualify.

4. Theodor Kaplun

3

Answered . This seems to be an immigration question, but needs more detail to answer properly - repost or call an immigration attorney, best of luck.

5. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

2

Answered . I am so sorry this happened to you! To be eligible for a U visa, the three main things are that 1) you were the victim of a crime IN THE U.S.; 2) you were hurt physically/mentally as a result of the crime, and 3) you assisted law enforcement with the crime's prosecution. Not knowing the details of your case, it seems to me that you may be able to still apply, as long as the crime occurred in the U.S. it shouldn't matter that it occurred in 2010 as long as you now are willing to assist the police. I would advise you to speak with a good immigration attorney in your area. You should perhaps talk to a few over the phone and see if there is one you feel you can trust with such a traumatic and personal event as rape. I would also advise you, if you haven't already done so, to seek out counseling and assistance to help you deal with the emotional suffering that this experience no doubt caused you. I wish you the best of luck.