I was turned down twice by the sub contractor after I refused an offer by the main contractor.

I had been working for five years as a senior analyst (contractor) when they lost the contract. I was told that the agency (Gov) had listed me as number one on hiring back. The new contractor offered me a position for quite a bit less the sub offered the same position for more. I took the sub contractor offer and was told that the senior billets were filled. I was contacted by the sub this week to say a senior billet was open, would I consider it. I told them yes three days later I was told my name would not be considered. I also know through my government contacts that they really want me back and that there is a senior billet open. If my name was put before them they would pick my name. I feel the contractor is discriminating , but not sure what to do. or if I can do anything.

Woodbridge, VA -

Susan A. Wuchinich

Susan A. Wuchinich

Employment / Labor Attorney - Alexandria, VA

What do you believe is the basis for discrimination. In order to present such a claim it has to be based on PROHIBITED discrimination such as race, age sex, national origin, creed and/or disability. Keep in mind that almost all employer will not admit to such bias and the burden on you is to prove it, which can be a difficult case because you have to often rely on circumstantial evidence.

In order to explore a potential claim, I would consult with an attorney experienced in such discrimination BEFORE you file any charges. You can find an attorney through this website, your local bar referral service or www.mwela.org and www.nela.org, which are two organizations composed of plaintiff side attorneys, many of whom are seasoned trial lawyers in this very area. Good luck.