I was turned away from a hair app. because I had my 3 mon. old infant w/me. Can I be reimbursed for my time & parking expense?

Portland, OR |

I did not receive any confirmation or sign anything prior to the appointment and was completely unaware of the policy of having to have a second adult to watch the child, and I when I showed up with my sleeping baby in her car seat I was denied my appointment and nearly missed my business meeting. I was very emotionally distraught as I was counting on this hair appointment to look presentable for my business meeting. I would like to be compensated for my time and parking expense and emotional distress. What rights do I have and how can I pursue compensation?

1. The cost of pursuing any legal recompense for this would be several hundred times the highest possible amount you could expect to recover. Move on.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com

2. Many businesses do not allow children without supervision. There are also potential safety issues that might make a business have a policy like that.

While it is unfortunate, the damages you suffered (like the other answer) is likely far less than the cost of hiring a lawyer, or possibly even a consultation.

Nothing discussed should be taken as legal advice. Posting details of your case on an open forum could be used against you, so use extreme caution. The best way to get legal advice is to consult privately with an attorney.

3. In addition, there are MANY state & federal rules that must be followed by various businesses if they don't want to be fined and/or lose their license. There is danger to your baby by laying her, in her car seat, next to you, while the hairdresser does your hair. Leaving you baby in the waiting area invites bad guys to take her. A little common sense is needed here.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

Child custody topics