I was turned away from a hair app. because I had my 3 mon. old infant w/me. Can I be reimbursed for my time & parking expense?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Portland, OR

I did not receive any confirmation or sign anything prior to the appointment and was completely unaware of the policy of having to have a second adult to watch the child, and I when I showed up with my sleeping baby in her car seat I was denied my appointment and nearly missed my business meeting. I was very emotionally distraught as I was counting on this hair appointment to look presentable for my business meeting. I would like to be compensated for my time and parking expense and emotional distress. What rights do I have and how can I pursue compensation?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jay Bodzin

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The cost of pursuing any legal recompense for this would be several hundred times the highest possible amount you could expect to recover. Move on.

    Please read the following notice:

    Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and... more
  2. Jared Justice


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Many businesses do not allow children without supervision. There are also potential safety issues that might make a business have a policy like that.

    While it is unfortunate, the damages you suffered (like the other answer) is likely far less than the cost of hiring a lawyer, or possibly even a consultation.

    Nothing discussed should be taken as legal advice. Posting details of your case on an open forum could be used... more
  3. Diane L Gruber


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In addition, there are MANY state & federal rules that must be followed by various businesses if they don't want to be fined and/or lose their license. There is danger to your baby by laying her, in her car seat, next to you, while the hairdresser does your hair. Leaving you baby in the waiting area invites bad guys to take her. A little common sense is needed here.

    Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,503 answers this week

2,922 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,503 answers this week

2,922 attorneys answering