I was tricked into transporting drugs without my knowledge!!!

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I was asked by a "friend" to drive a car for him to certain location, We got pulled over and there was 20 lbs of marijuana, I HAD NO IDEA!!! I have a clean record, i'm a student I don't do drugs, Is there a chance I can get a small sentence or probation?

1. David Michael Boertje

Pro

10

Answered . If you had no knowledge of the marijuana you have a valid defense and are not guilty of the offense. You should hire a lawyer and fight the case as a conviction for transporting and/or possession of marijuana for sales could stay on your record permanently, in addition to possible jail time. Speak to some local experienced criminal lawyers as there are many of us here on AVVO who offer free consultation.

David M. Boertje, Esq.
    (619) 229-1870
    www.boertjelaw.com

*Please note that this is not legal advice and in no way formed an attorney-client relationship*
  2. Richard Franklin Taub

5

Answered . I agree with Mr. Boertje. Why would you even be discussing getting a small sentence or probation when you claim to be completely innocent of the offense? If your position is genuine, you need to hire counsel immediately to defend you. After all, if your position is genuine that you had no knowledge, then it is likely that the government's evidence would be consistent with your position and permit a criminal defense lawyer to establish that defense.

3. William Mathew Concidine

Pro

4

Answered . You did not mention whether your case is in state or federal court. This could be considered a serious offense that would stay on your record. If you are innocent you should fight the charges and an attorney can help. It sounds like you have mitigating factors to support your defense.

4. William Peter Daley

4

Answered . As suggested, these are serious charges, for which it sounds like you may have a complete defense. You should be speaking with one of us local AVVO San Diego area criminal defense attorney's who have experience in fighting these kind of charges. Most of us here on AVVO offer a free consultation, and you should hire the best experienced attorney that you can afford to help you fight this case.

http://lawofficeofwilliamdaley.com/san-diego-cr...

5. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

4

Answered . You appear to be charged (likely in state court) with multiple felonies (transportation, and possession for sale of marijuana), The best thing you can do is hire the best locally experienced criminal defense attorney you can afford and stop making case specific statements about your case on public forums such as Avvo.

Good Luck!

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555
  6. Andrew Michael Limberg

Pro

4

Answered . You may have a complete defense to the charge, or at the very least mitigating circumstances that may radically reduce the consequences of the case. You should obtain a free consultation from a local defense attorney right away to ensure the best possible result.

Law Office of Andrew Limberg, APLC 380 S. Melrose Dr., #329 Vista, CA 92081 (760) 806-4381
  7. Francis Rowland Pabst

3

Answered . Without knowledge of your possession the prosecution can't meet their burden across all of the elements. Please seek the advise of qualified counsel immediately.

8. Vijay Dinakar

Pro

2

Answered . Sounds like you were an unwitting mule; dont be a fool; you are advised to consult a legal tool. Hire a local criminal attorney. Best of luck

9. Joseph Salvatore Farina

1

Answered . Don't you hate it when you get tricked into transporting 20 pounds of marijuana? I'm sure that 20 pounds of marijuana DID NOT SMELL so how were you to know? And 20 pounds of marijuana, if it doesn't go federal, will get you a bucket load of time. Probation is a possibility although not a great one and formal probation for several years is a guarantee. Lots of luck.

10. Jay Scott Finnecy

Pro

Answered . There's a good chance of a good outcome if you quit making statements AND you contact and retain a good criminal defense attorney.

Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy (619) 855-3003 or (760) 522-7006 criminalattorneysd.com
  11. Robert Griscom

Answered . If your story checks out during the DEA investigation, and if you cooperate with the authorities, the charges should be dropped. You definitely need a criminal defense attorney to assure the proper outcome.