I was transferred from one store to another with less than 24 hour notice, can they do this?

North Hollywood, CA |

New location in farther away from my old location. Im going to end up losing money. Also i worked for 2 week straight and the company didn't give me any overtime. I was the top sales person in that location and without any notice or warning they did this to me.

First, assuming you are an at-will employee, an employer can change the terms and conditions of your employment prospectively (or on a going forward basis) for any reason or no reason, provided it is not a prohibited reason as such as discrimination based upon race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, military service, disability or for opposing illegal activity. Giving less than 24 hours advances notice is permissible in the absence of statutory or contractual provision requiring more notice.

If you worked more than 8 hours per day, or more than 40 hours per week you are entitled to overtime pay. For the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement's excellent guide on overtime rights, please go to the link below:

If your wages were not correctly paid, you may have a claim for unpaid wages. You can file a free complaint with the Labor Commissioner online at:

Alternatively, an attorney can assist you and you may be entitled to recover your reasonable attorney's fees under Labor Code 218.5

opposing illegal activity this could be a reason because my DM was telling us to do some fraud which me and my manager didnt do. We work for a at&t authorize retaile. They transfered me, my manager and my sale associate to the other store.

Brad S Kane

Brad S Kane

This is a public board and it is not appropriate for discussing specific cases, because would waive the attorney client privilege. If you wish to discuss the specifics with me, you may call me at (323) 697-9840.

Ok thank you. I'll call you tomorrow

Recommended articles about Employment