I was told the fee for the eye doctor was $145 and nothing more. I now have a bill for another $100. Can they do this!

Asked over 1 year ago - Bloomingdale, OH

I had to see an eye specialist in January, and not having any insurance, I asked exactly how much it would be. I was told $145. I asked if that would be the final cost, and was told 'Yes'! I have now received a bill for another $100, which they have put down as being 30 days past due...this is the first time I have received any communication from them. The bill was for a test I had done in the office. As I was told there would be NO FURTHER CHARGES other than the initial $145 I was quoted, can they legally charge me this amount?

1. Christopher Edward Ezold

Pro

Answered . Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies, unless otherwise specified.

That being said, if you are quoted a price, the provider cannot upcharge you afterwards. Was the $100 for an additional service of some kind? Were you aware that the additional service would be provided? If not, you may not owe anything to the provider. You should write to them to explain why you don't owe the money and demand an explanation as to their charges.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at the below address(es) or telephone number.

/Christopher E. Ezold/

The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
    Employment, Business and Health Law
    One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
    (610) 660-5585
    Cezold@Ezoldlaw.com
    www.ezoldlaw.com